Over the last eight years the Conservatives at Suffolk County Council have made massive increases to care charges, whilst cutting many services. Schools, care homes, public transport and libraries have all suffered. Costs have still increased and efficiency has stagnated.
At the same time they have built up the County’s reserves to a massive £150m – a THIRD of their annual budget – stashing our cash despite historically low interest rates and falling confidence in the banking sector.
The Lib Dems say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH – Suffolk deserves better! We want to:
1. Bring back Quality Education Eight years ago, Suffolk had an enviable education system. After eight years of Tory mismanagement the County is almost bottom of the English league table.
2. Offer appropriate Care provision for all who need it ‘Care’ has been the Cinderella service of this Tory council
3. Recognise transport as a human right Neither Labour nor Tory party has demonstrated active support for the public transport network – particularly in rural areas. Yet reliable travel is essential for work, health, socialising and education.
4. More and better-focused environmental action ‘Greenest County? What a lot of Greenwash! The Tories have Talked the Talk – but don’t Walk the Walk. (And they are only seen near a cycle if its a photo-opportunity)
5. Safety for all our Library service Under the Tories the situation of Suffolk Libraries has been perilous.
6. Create a thriving local economy More and more local businesses are feeling the crunch – or even closing. Our high streets are becoming less vibrant. The Tories have failed to drive economic development and oppose much of the green economy
7. More streamlined services Under the Tories services have been “externalised” and service efficiency has stagnated – yet contract management has been woefully inadequate
So, not a big ask, surely? But the Tories haven’t managed it!