About 5,500 people in Suffolk have long-term epilepsy, yet it remains very much a Cinderella condition, kept secret, inadequately recognised and poorly funded. People are often anxious to prevent others know they suffer from it because they fear stigmatisation ostracism and discrimination – with good reason. Yet over 70% of people with epilepsy are completely seizure-free through drugs and are leading ‘normal’ lives. The other 30% (including my daughter) live in hope. For the last few weeks she has been lucky enough to be seen at the NSE Sir William Gowers centre – the last port of call for people who difficult-to-control epilepsy – while they try to stabilise her condition.
There are generally about twenty people here being assessed: she has already met several others from Suffolk
I’m raising money for the National Society for Epilepsy – a boringly-named charity that does an unbelievable amount of good!
Did you know that:
* One in 20 people will have a one-off epileptic seizure at some point in their life (although this does not necessarily mean that they have epilepsy).
* One in 50 people will have epilepsy at some time in their life (not everyone with epilepsy will have it for life).
* Around 75 people are diagnosed with epilepsy every day.
* There are around 456,000 people in the UK who have epilepsy. That’s about one in every 131 people. There are around 50 million people with epilepsy in the world.
* Only about 3-5% of people with epilepsy will be affected by flashing lights (called photosensitive epilepsy)
* You don’t know how many people with epilepsy you know: Over 70% of people with epilepsy are completely seizure-free via drugs.
For the last few weeks i have been cycling and taking the train to Bucks where my daughter is in hospital. In ten years the medical profession have yet to manage to stabilise her horrible epilepsy – but if anywhere can, it is this place!
On 5 September I – together with my cousin and my young son – am cycling the whole way from Woodbridge to Chalfont St Giles (106-120 miles depending on route) to raise money for the charity behind the healthcare. Please sponsor us: http://www.justgiving.com/Paul-and-Caroline-go-visiting
Caroline Page, LibDem County Councillor for Woodbridge
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.