So if we could find a place that delivers this energy and has a positive impact on 8 other issues then it could be considered a real winner.
Well, Dave Busby – LibDem councillor for Belstead Brook – may have just had that ‘eureka’ moment. He is proposing that we should cover the Copdock Park & Ride with solar panels.
Apart from the obvious benefit of additional power what else would this proposal give us?
“Generating income for the site would mean that
– Fares could be reduced – resulting in increased numbers using the service increasing, meaning less traffic jams and less pollution in Ipswich;
– The future viability of the site would be guaranteed;
– Students from Suffolk One could be offered cheap parking – eliminating the continuing thorny problem of them needing to park in surrounding residential areas,” Dave points out.
Additional benefits would be that
- Traffic flow into town is reduced;
- Agricultural land is retained for food production;
- The Suffolk landscape is not blighted;
- The site could provide a point for charging electric cars;
- It means a double use for an asset
Solar panels could also be added at the Martlesham P&R site to provide similar benefits on the other side of Ipswich.
So will it happen?
“Watch this space,” says Dave Busby.